Vegan S’mores 2 Ways
Can you even have summer without s’mores? We don’t think so. Or if you do, then you are not doing summer right. However as a vegan, having s’mores can be a bit difficult.
There is honey in conventional graham crackers, milk in a lot of chocolate and gelatin in marshmallows. But with a little trip to your local health food store or Whole Foods vegans can have s’mores no problem.
However if you are like Kat and live in a city you run into another obstacle; you can’t just start lighting fires in a city. Instead we found 2 great s’more recipes that require no fire pit. Now you can enjoy your s’mores anywhere!
To stay a little more traditional we made s’mores nachos, which is essentially layered s’mores. Plus we also made delicious s’more bars! The bars are great because they are super easy to make and are super portable.
Makes: 8 squares
- 4 cups vegan marshmallows, divided
- 1 cup vegan graham crackers
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips, divided
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- Chop your graham crackers into smaller, more manageable piece and set aside.
- In a deep pan melt your butter and add 3 cups of your vegan marshmallows. You want to constantly stir your marshmallows to avoid burning. They will take some time to melt, so be patient.
- Once melted, remove the pan from the heat and add 1/2 cup of your vegan chocolate chips. Stir them into the marshmallows until melted.
- Add your graham crackers and really work those into the melted marshmallows until evenly distributed around.
- Once everything is mixed in and the mixture has had a second to cool add in the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Mix those in for a crunchier texture.
- Add the mixture to a greased loaf pan and push down until level. Pro tip: grease or wet your hand to avoid it sticking to your hands too much.
- Optional: Before you let it set you can add a little dusting of graham cracker crumbs to the top.
- Set aside for at least 2 hours.
Serves: 4 – 6
- 2 boxes vegan graham crackers
- 1 bag of vegan marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a cast iron pan or another oven safe pan layer as if you were making nachos. Alternating between graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate.
- Bake in over for about 30 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden brown and the chocolate is melted. Watch every 5 or so minutes as ovens vary.