Vegan Butternut Squash Curry Soup
We love spicy things. You will often see us put sriracha and extra spice on literally everything that we can. One thing that all spice lovers can’t get enough of is curry! We absolutely LOVE curry. That’s why we knew we had to make a good curry recipe for you guys.
This soup is flavourful jam packed full of delicious spice. Plus it is super easy to make and is sure to impress everyone; vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike. We made this recipe while up at the cottage surrounded by all our omnivore friends and it was a big hit.
Speaking of the cottage, this recipe is great for big groups and cottage living. A crowd-pleaser and a soup that can be made with very little dishes! That’s all we are really looking for when it comes to cottage meals.
Butternut Squash Curry Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2-3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp hot chili flakes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 cups black kale, sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- The key to soup is prepping all your ingredients beforehand. This way you can add the ingredients as you need to, instead of trying to hurry and chop as you go. Chop all your ingredients to your desired size. We found these sizes were best; 1 inch butternut squash cubes, thin red pepper slices and 1/4 inch thick slices of carrot.
- To a large pot add 1 tbsp olive oil. Once heated add butternut squash cubes, black pepper, salt and onion powder and cook until lightly browned. Remove the butternut squash and add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil, red pepper, carrot, curry paste, curry powder and hot chili flakes. Cook until the vegetables are softened.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable stock, water and butternut squash to the pot and stir until all combined. Squeeze in your lemon juice and stir. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the black kale and stir. Cook until the kale wilts.
- Serve with rice (optional).